Ancestry Visa

Commonwealth Citizens who have at least one grandparent who was born in the UK can qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa.

The Ancestry Visa provides the right to live and work in the UK for a period of up to five years. This visa can lead to Settlement and, thereafter, British Citizenship.

Who Can Apply

You can apply for a UK Ancestry Visa if you:

Family Members

You can bring your spouse, partner and/or your dependant children with you. They will have permission to remain in the UK for the same time that you can remain in the UK and there are usually no restrictions placed on their ability to work in the UK.

Settlement - Indefinite Leave to Remain

Once you have completed 5 years in the UK you may be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You will need to meet the usual requirements, including meeting the residency requirements.

If you are a Commonwealth Citizen and you would like to discuss your situation or you would like professional assistance with obtaining an Ancestry Visa then please either call us on 08456801100 (local rate number) / 01732741611 or by email

Immigration, Work Permit and Visa Services