Immigration Work Permit and Visa Services

European Schengen Visa

A Guide to movement around specific EU countries for Business and Tourism and how to apply for work permits in the EU.

Since 26th March 1995, a new type of visa - the Schengen Visa - has been introduced by the following member-states of the European Union who are signatories of the Schengen Agreement:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

You might be interested to know that the treaty acquired its name from the Luxembourg village of Schengen on the Moselle, bordering both France and Germany, where the Agreement was signed.

General regulations

The issue of such visas is discretionary and depends on examination of each individual case, including purpose of visit and intention to return.

The Schengen visa issued by an Embassy or Consulate of the above countries allows the holder to move freely in all of these countries within the validity of the visa.

If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of that country.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries without having a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the first country that requires you to have a visa.

Applications should generally be made in person at the Embassy or Consulate that is responsible for your place of residence. Get in touch with us and we will help you provide exactly what you need to the right place.

Normally, if you live more than 50 miles from such an Embassy you will able to submit your application by post : prepaid self addressed envelope, (recorded or registered delivery for the safe return of documents)

A Schengen visa is not appropriate if you wish to remain in a Schengen member state for longer than 3 months or take up employment or establish a business or trade or profession.

Immigration, Work Permit and Visa Services