From 19 July 2010, there are two important changes for migrants who are applying to Tier 1 (General) of the points-based system for the first time,
19 July 2010
- the introduction of an interim limit for Tier 1 (General) applications for the period until 31 March 2011; and
- an increase in the number of points required for a Tier 1(General) application, from 95 to 100.
Interim limits for Tier 1 (General) applications
On 19 July 2010, the UK government introduced a limit on the number of initial applications from outside the UK that can be granted under Tier 1 (General) of the points-based system until 31 March 2011.
The UK Border Agency is administering the limit on a monthly basis. However, the way that you apply for permission to enter the UK under Tier 1 (General) remains the same.
If your application meets all the requirements and the limit has not been reached for the month when you applied, we will issue you a visa in the usual way.
If your application meets all the requirements but the limit for that month would be exceeded if we issued you a visa, we will defer your application to the next month when the limit allocation reopens. If your application does not meet the requirements, we will process it as normal even if the limit has been exceeded. You can still submit your application even when a monthly limit has been reached.
All applications will be processed in the order in which they are received, as far as operationally possible. You will be informed in writing of the final decision on your application.
When making any travel plans, you should expect that your application may take longer than normal if the limit is reached.
The interim limit will not be applied to:
- people who are already in the UK;
- dependants of Tier 1 applicants; or
- the Investor, Entrepreneur and Post-study work categories of Tier 1.
Increase in the points required for Tier 1 (General) applications
From 19 July 2010, the number of points required for an initial Tier 1 (General) application has increased from 95 to 100. Additionally:
- the points awarded to those with previous earnings of £150,000 have increased from 75 to 80; and
- the points awarded to those who have an eligible MBA have increased from 75 to 80.
These changes will apply to all initial Tier 1 (General) applications paid for on or after 19 July 2010.
If you are in the UK in any other immigration category, such as Tier 1 (Post-study work), you will need to score 100 points when you apply to switch into Tier 1 (General).