D Visa - Permanent Residence (Residence, Work or Business)
The D Visa can be issued for Residence, Work or Business and can have a duration of 5 or 10 years, renewable indefinitely.
Foreign nationals who wish to apply must fall under one of the following categories:
- Family members of Chinese nationals, such as children and spouses (spouses must be married for a minimum of approximately 5 years)
- Individuals who make a large direct investment in China for three consecutive years
- Individuals who make outstanding contributions to China's development or are considered by the Chinese government to be critical to the needs of the country
- Individuals who have held a high-level position and have resided in China for three of the past four years, in a business which promotes the country's economic, scientific and technological development or social progress
For Item 2, the minimum level of investment is defined as follows:
- The amount meets or exceeds US $500,000 if invested solely in Western China
- The amount meets or exceeds US $1,000,000 if invested solely in Central China
- The amount meets or exceeds US $2,000,000 if invested in multiple locations in China
Successful applicants will be granted a 5- or 10- year residence permit in China, which may be renewed indefinitely. This will allow them to freely reside, enter, and exit China during the period of validity.