Canada Immigration Work Permits and Visas

Canada Spouse, Dependent and Family Visas

Canadian citizens and permanent residents living in Canada, 18 years of age or older, may sponsor close relatives or family members who want to become permanent residents of Canada. Sponsors must promise to support the relative or family member and accompanying family members for a period of three to 10 years to help them settle in Canada.

Family members eligible for sponsorship are:

A son or daughter is dependent when the child:

If you want to sponsor any of the above listed relatives or family members, you may have to meet certain income requirements. If you have previously sponsored relatives or family members who have received social assistance, you may not be allowed to sponsor another person. Sponsorship is a considerable commitment so you should take this obligation seriously. To sponsor a relative or family member you must sign a legal contract with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. This is called the Undertaking. You must also sign a Sponsorship Agreement with your relative or family member that outlines your mutual commitments to each other.

More information can be found by viewing our Frequently Asked Questions or contact us for an assessment.

Immigration, Work Permit and Visa Services