Australia Immigration Work Permits and Visas

Australia Student Visa

Student visas are divided into subclasses based on the principal course of study.

The Dept of Immigration associates a certain risk to the issue of student visas, and to this effect base the different student visas on assessment factors - examples include education sector of study and the applicant's country of nationality.

Students who have obtained certain Australian qualifications are potentialy able to apply for new categories of permanent skilled visas in Australia on completion of their studies.

The different student visa subclasses: (based on the intended studies)

570 - Independent English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (although where a student is undertaking ELICOS as a prerequisite to another course the student must apply under the subclass relevant to the principal course)

571 - Schools - primary, secondary, and approved secondary exchange programs

572 - Vocational education and training sector - meaning Certificate I, II, III, and IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma

573 - Higher education sector - covering bachelor degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma

574 - Masters and doctorate sector

575 - Non-award foundation studies/other

576 - AusAID or Defence sponsored sector

Students must provide evidence that they have sufficient funds to fund accommodation, pay for airfares, course tuition fees, overseas student health cover (OSHC) and all general expenses during the stay in Australia. The assessment factors will review the student's financial resources in this regard.

Strict conditions are imposed on student visa holders (see examples below) - a breach of any of these conditions may lead to the cancellation of the visa.

The student must satisfy attendance and/or course requirements and maintain a valid enrolment for the chosen course of study. Students are required to attend a minimum of 80% of all classes (closely monitored by DIAC), and have to achieve satisfactory academic results.

Students (and their dependents) are not allowed to work. After they have commenced studies, they can apply for work rights - which will be limited to 20 hours per week.

The student must remain with the education provider with whom the student enrolled for the first 12 months of the course (or for the duration of the course if the course lasts for less than 12 months) - save for in exceptional circumstances

The student's residential address (and any changes) must be notified to the educational provider within 7 days of arrival in Australia (or of any move)

Immigration, Work Permit and Visa Services